CALMet (CAL Working Group)

11 May 2006

CALMet (CAL Working Group)

Hi everyone,

Fan Hong recently emailed us with this list of planning items. I'll provide my own responses for the group to consider beneath each one.

P.S. Let's start to use the Blog so the discussion is saved.

1. If it is possible I might propose a session to show what we have done in
CMA's distance education, talks plus demos, web and video conferencing.

Yes, Vesa and I already discussed this and we agree. Because we will be at CMA, it would be nice to take advantage of that and learn more about your distance education activities. How much time do you propose?

2. "Creating Activities for Learning." I am not a native English speaker, it
seems to me "creating" emphasize the action, is "creative" better in this
phrase which may mean innovative and so forth?

I agree, except I feel both words are appropriate for the acronym CAL. The workshop is both about how to take action in offering effective education and training, and also how to use creative ideas. Since we can only use one of the phrases in print material (unless we're more creative, I guess), I'm wondering which word others prefer.

3. If I am assumed to organize the opening ceremony as an honor, I might
suggest an opening ceremony chaired either by the conference chair, Pat or
Vesa, or a CMATC director general, plus opening statements by a WMO, and a
SCHOTI and a conference representative respectively, plus an CMA and/or
CMATC official depends on the situation then.

Let us discuss this more. I envisioned you, Fan Hong, as chair of this session, but Vesa and I might add some welcoming words as conference chairs. But I'm open to other ideas.

4. For the sightseeing it may take a whole day off.

This is problematic, but it is quite an attractive idea to have an entire day for siteseeing for a place as interesting as Beijing. However, participants often feel there is not enough time for the conference as it is. Can we be creative and break tradition? Could we add Saturday as a Workshop day (this was recommended in one survey) so that taking Wednesday off for siteseeing would not steal too much time for conference activities? Or could we have the siteseeing day on Sunday prior or Saturday after? Other ideas? Should we keep siteseeing to a half day but into the evening if possible, limiting what we see as a group? Do others feel 4 working days is sufficient?

5. For the visit to the CMA's national met centre, met satellite centre and
Huafeng Group of Meteorological Audio and Video Information etc, if we have
time to arrange, it will probably take half a day.

I'll let others respond. It would be nice not to lose too much conference time, but this might be a very useful learning experience.

6.A banquet/dinner offered by CMATC will be at night so will not occupy the
5 working day.

I am looking forward to this already.

Cheers,

Pat

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home